This workshop is co-organised by KTH, DIT, COSTECH, Sci-GaIA and will be held in COSTECH, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Global challenges are often materialized locally and render solutions in a local context. In good circumstances, they may be scaled up into global solutions. The lack of investments in certain areas or lack of certain infrastructure in emerging and developing economies offers unique opportunities to explore entirely different solutions to problems that are beyond the horizon of our present imagination. They could thrive and develop rapidly in the fertile innovation ecosystem that is provided by universities and their interface to society. Thus, from a university perspective, connecting research, education, and innovation to an effective knowledge triangle is of paramount importance.
The new approach consists of three fundamental concepts forming the pillars for activities and actions:
- Strong commitment and support of Open Science and related transparency and global co-operation. as defined in the recent Dakar Declaration  that. This is facilitated and empowered the recently development Open Science Platform  with focus on integrating the knowledge triangle and providing Science Gateways
- Introducing a new approach for societal stakeholder integration through the Challenge Driven Education  model and Technology Transfer Alliance supporting a comprehensive multi-partner interaction.
- Physically co-locating the activities to university initiated co-creation, co-design, and co-drafting centers forming the local Open Labs and Maker Space meeting places and critical infrastructure resources for integrating problem owners to various solution provides especially from academia.
With these pillars we have already seen new innovation capacity generated, new excitement and renewal of the academic environments, and above creating broad social and societal impact especially for problems which require multidisciplinary approach for solutions and business creation.
This workshop has focus on Challenge Driven education in the above context with three thematic days:
- Governance, how the universities at different level can actively utilize Challenge Driven Education from various organizational perspective
- Pedagogic models how to do it in practice.
- How to reach for impact and success and various practical experiences on that.
The aim of the workshop is to provide participants concrete tools and shared practices for Challenge Driven Education and prepare the participants to lead and to contribute for Challenge Driven Education activities in their home universities with the local context. We hope this will inspire all involved in this workshop.